New Haven Bird Club’s
The BIG SIT!™
October 11-12, 2014
Bird Watcher’s Digest is coordinating the data collection and compilation.
Go to their webpage to register your circle.
“If you sit in one place long enough, eventually every species of bird will pass by.”
The BIG SIT! is like a Big Day, or a Bird-a-thon in that the object is to tally as many bird species as can be seen or heard within 24 hours. The difference lies in the area limitation (17 foot circle) from which you’ll be allowed to observe. THIS FREE EVENT IS OPEN TO EVERY INDIVIDUAL AND CLUB IN EVERY STATE AND IN EVERY COUNTRY! Get a team together or go it alone – add to your state’s (or country’s) total!
- Best Overall Count (Most species seen by a single circle)
- Best State Count (Highest combined total from circles within a state – wins State “braggin’ rights”)
- The Big Prize!: Swarovski Optik is offering $500 to the circle who finds the “Golden Bird”. Details on the “Golden Bird” below.
- Observations can be made from any area within the state/country you live, or wish to represent.
- Observations can only be made from within a 17-foot (diameter) circle.
- There’s no limit to how many people can occupy one area (other than the obvious spatial limitations). Bring some chairs. Have a picnic or barbeque. Welcome passers-by and their contributions to your list.
- If a bird is seen or heard from within the circle but is too distant to identify, the circle can be left to get a closer look/listen for confirmation. However, any new bird seen or heard while confirming the original, can’t be counted unless it’s seen or heard from an “anchor” who stayed behind in your circle, or when you return to your spot.
- The participants can work in shifts. No one person needs to be there throughout the whole Big Sit! The area can be left and returned to as frequently as desired, but you must be sure to return to the exact spot each time.
- The same circle must be used for the entire Big Sit!
- The Big Sit! will begin at 12:00am midnight on October 10 and end 24 hours later.
BEFORE THE SIT:
Every circle (not person) must be registered before the event. Please register your circle on Bird Watcher’s Digest’s website setup specifically for this purpose.
Bird Watcher’s Digest
149 Acme Street
Marietta, OH 45750
THIS EVENT IS FREE.
AFTER THE SIT:
Please check Bird Watcher’s Digest’s website to find out how they want circle captains to submit results.
THE GOLDEN BIRD
And what is the Golden Bird? After all of the results are tabulated, a bird will be selected by random drawing from the total list. All of the circles who listed that bird will be put into another random drawing. The selected circle will choose a non-profit, environmental organization to receive $500 donated by Swarovski Optik. Qualifying organizations include bird clubs, Audubon chapters, land trusts, etc.
[Note: only US and Canadian circles are eligible for the Golden Bird prize.]
™The Big Sit! is a registered trademark of the New Haven Bird Club, Inc.